Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Erin (Williamson) Bilger



10 Years in a Nutshell
-moved to Panamá to teach English in a Red Cross school
-studied History at the Universidad de Panamá
-mastered the Spanish language
-traveled Europe as a first soprano with the Utah Baroque Ensemble
-waited for a missionary (of the LDS variety)
-got dumped by a missionary
-started college on a vocal performance scholarship at UVU
-ogled a gorgeous man, Nathan Bigler, in my Spanish Lit class
-spent the night in his snow cave-followed him to Costa Rica for a semester abroad
-backpacked through Central America
-swept said gorgeous man off his feet-agreed to marry him
-ran out of food and water on a remote Panamanian island
-paid a small boy to climb a coconut tree for my sustenance
-caught the next boat outta there
-married that guy
-cranked out baby number one, Jensie (6)
-purchased and renovated a 100 year old farm house
-joined the Army (he did anyway)
-enter baby number two, Asher (4)
-ate grubs in Taiwan
-sold farm house
-headed to Ft. Benning, Georgia
-stuck it out for deployment to Iraq- OIF5
-welcomed baby number three, Frances Amelia (2)
-embraced power tools
-got my sexy back
-decided to be a farmer
-enjoyed some Southern Hospitality
-learned to keep bees
-house trained a puppy and a pig
-braved a second deployment to Iraq- OIF 7
-got my sexy back (again)

4 comments:

TerriLyn said...

Fun post Erin and cute family!

Buffy Bandley said...

I love this... and I miss you being around Erin!

Janine said...

Seriously, bee keeping? I have to admit-- my fantasy is living in New Zealand and becoming a beekeeper. Can you recommend any books, mags, blogs, etc about bee keeping for me?

Erin Bigler said...

New Zealand and bees! What a terrific idea. Yes! How to Keep Bees and Sell Honey by Walter T. Kelly is an excellent resource.

Also, most counties have a Bee Keeping Association. You can just google it. They often hold quarterly meetings and teach classes on beekeeping. It's been my experience that it's mostly just a bunch of kind 80 year olds who'd love to teach you everything they know, but their websites suck so you'll have to meet them in person.

I couldn't tell whether or not you're still in Utah, but if you're anywhere near Utah County I know that Charlie at Benjamin Farms (benjaminfarms.com) would be happy to explain the ins and outs of all-things-bees to you. Just be sure to tell him I sent you (just kidding you don't need to, but if you do I'm sure he'll laugh. I called him randomly once after finding his website and convinced him to teach me to slaughter and dress a turkey. We're old pals now.)

My blog URL has changed to seawaterteacompany.blogspot.com (the sidebar on this site will take you to an old one). Feel free to hit me up with questions any time!